Signing up for hosting and domain registration isn’t complicated.
Choose your hosting provider / domain registrar. Find an available domain name, choose an appropriate hosting plan, pay and off you go.
The entire process is fast and automated (unless you chose a domain name that requires manual intervention).
As long as you keep your contact details up to date you won’t have any problems.
But, if you don’t keep them up to date you can end up in a world of pain and potentially lose control of your business’ chosen domain name, hosting and everything else.
Here are a couple of things to keep an eye on:
- Are your account contact details 100% accurate and current? If you used a free email address when you registered your domain and hosting you might not check it regularly and you could miss an important email. You can easily update the email address on your account via your control panel.
- Are your domains’ whois details correct? Make sure the domain is registered to the correct person / entity at all times.
- Concerned about privacy? A lot of registrars offer a whois privacy service for domains.
- Are your payment details accurate? A common issue people encounter is that their credit card expires or is maxed out, so the payment fails
- Make sure you aren’t blocking emails from firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com – if you’re using a spam filter of some kind add us to your whitelist.
- Make sure to check your spam folders to ensure that you are getting emails from us.
And if you’re going on holidays or not going to be available for a couple of weeks make sure that your hosting and domains are up to date and that they won’t expire while you’re miles away from an internet connection.
(Original image depression teen girl cried lonely isolated on white background from BigStock
- Sometimes You Want To Wear Shades – Whois Privacy Now Available (blacknight.com)
- Blacknight Offering Free and Discounted .Co and .Me Domains (internetnews.me)
- Get locked with Blacknight this weekend. (blacknight.com)
- IEDR Update WHOIS Output To Include Registration Date (internetnews.me)