Run by Carlow County Chamber, the Carlow Business Awards are designed to recognise the innovation, talent, quality and entrepreneurial spirit of businesses and the people within Carlow. The event took place in the VISUAL Centre for Contemporary Art & The George Bernard Shaw Theatre on the 29th of September at 7pm. Our own Alan O’Reilly attended on behalf of Blacknight to present the award for Best Emerging Business.
Speaking about the night, he said:
“It was great to have the Carlow Chamber awards back in one superb venue and great to see so many local businesses attend. There was a real buzz on the night with excitement building among the nominated companies.
Carlow is on a high from recently becoming a university town with the creation of South East Technological University (SETU) and despite all the current challenges facing businesses there was a real sense of excitement and enthusiasm.
It was great to see so many winners presented with awards from a wide range of sectors, and I was delighted to present the Emerging Business award to Ballon Pharmacy which is a great success story from a rural village close to where I grew up in Carlow. It was also great to see so many customers of Blacknight win awards on the night including local radio station KCLR winning the business of the year award and their main talk show presenter Eimear Ní Bhraonáin win ambassador of the year”.
The winners are:
- Community Award: Carlow Mental Health Association
- Business Supporting Community Award: The Nationalist
- Food and Beverage Producers Award: Murphy’s Butchers Tullow
- Best Dining Experience: Lennon’s @ Visual
- Best Presented – Carlow Town: DNG McCormack Properties
- Best Presented – Tullow & Carlow North: Joe O’Toole & Sons
- Best Presented – Muine Bheag & Carlow South: The Mullichain Café
- Spirit of Carlow Award: Carlow Fire and Rescue Service
- Customer Service Award: Aptus
- Professional Services Award: Anne & Co
- Research Innovation and Technology Award: Delmec
- Sustainable Initiatives: Carlow Bee Keepers Association
- Carlow Ambassador of the Year: Eimear Ní Bhraonáin
- Best Online Presence: Lawlor’s Furniture & Flooring
- Emerging Business (Sponsored by Blacknight): Ballon Pharmacy
- Licensed Premises: The Tara Arms
- Exporter of the Year: DPF Engineering
- Retailer of the Year: Detail Menswear
- Family Business of the Year: Jones Business Systems
- Craft & Design Award: Made in Carlow
- Culture, Heritage & Tourism: Huntington Castle & Gardens
- President’s Award: The Big Idea
- Lifetime Achievement Award: James Kehoe
- Outstanding Small Business of the Year: Carlow Toolmaking Services
- Business of the Year: KCLR